Thursday, December 5, 2013

Post 2:What is a book?


A book is in my opinion an adventure on paper. I believe that a book has the ability to entertain a reader, or in some cases, put them to sleep. I agree with Joe Meno when he says "A book, a novel, a short story, even a comic book, needs us to complete the action," I think that a book is nothing until the reader lets the book open up into a new world that has a mix of details from the book and the readers imagination. In my opinion reading an e-reader, Kindle, or an iPad is not the same as reading a real book. One reason is that when I finish a book I like to have the pleasure of slamming a book shut when I’m done, and I can’t do that on a device. One trade-off however is that getting a book off of the iTunes store is a little cheaper than going to the library or store and buy one. I do and don’t agree with Tom Piazza when he says “if there’s no future for books, there’s no future…” I agree with him, because some people prefer books over e-readers, because one book is far cheaper than one e-reader. But I also disagree, because some people prefer e-readers because they are more portable, and they use the modern day technology. I like what Nancy Jo Sales was trying to say, but I disagree with her when she says “I don’t think books will ever disappear” With technology growing, at a point in time I do believe that books will be just like dust, ignored and forgotten. When Victor LaVelle says “Most of the books on your bookshelves might be beautifully designed, and not exactly cheap, but they’re no more divine than a toaster.” I think he is trying to say that there is nothing special about books, but is your imagination that makes the story special.

No comments:

Post a Comment