Thursday, March 13, 2014

English 1B Post 2: Doctor Sleep


Doctor Sleep is a sequel to Stephen King’s The Shining, but you don’t have to read the Shining to completely understand Doctor Sleep. I have not yet read The Shining, but I have talked to someone who has, and she has read both books, she has told me that The Shining is a story about Danny who has “the shining” and in Doctor Sleep Danny is still the main character; the two books just take place in different times of Danny’s life. So far I have liked Doctor Sleep, even though it is basically a story about the supernatural. Just like in the last book I read, Let Me off at the Top! This book has no censorship and Stephen King tries to make his book as descriptive as possible.

So far I have only been able to get to the second chapter in Doctor Sleep, and so far the first chapter is all about Danny as a kid and the second chapter is about another girl who gets initiated into what seems like a very secret very prestigious club. Also in the first chapter Danny has to fight off and “lock away” two dead people that he can see. He also pays a visit to Dick, a person that Danny knows and also has the Shining, from the looks of it Dick seems like the only person that Danny can really trust. I expect to read more about the dead people that Danny runs into, and what happens to Dick as I continue reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment